BREAKING NEWS

[5]

I Can Tell That We Are Gonna Be Friends

Saturdays in New York City are made for boozy brunches, hanging out in the park, and shopping at Union Square. What could possibly be better than that?! A year ago, I probably would have said nothing. Nothing is better than those things. Until I discovered K.E.E.N.

"KEEN’s mission is to empower youth with disabilities by providing free, non-competitive one-to-one programs of exercise, fitness and fun, led by volunteer coaches.  KEEN’s vision is fostering the confidence, self-esteem and inclusion in the community for youth with disabilities; strengthening the community through education of volunteers; and providing families with respite and a supportive network."

I stumbled upon K.E.E.N. when I became a New York Cares team leader. I was hooked within the first 10 minutes of my very first session, and I have spent almost every Saturday since June coaching these awesome athletes. Some days are tough, and some days are magical. Some days I chase a 6-year-old named Xavier up and down three floors of ramps for two hours (your girl is out of shape, y'all) and some days I sit and play Uno with Andrew for 2 hours (I still haven't beaten him yet!).

As my departure date grows closer, I've been thinking a lot about how my life is going to change without these kids. So, I decided to run around with my GoPro at a session and put together a keepsake video for myself. I'll be putting together a short series of these videos before I leave, so there will be a few more coming your way over the next month! Help me celebrate these athletes disabilities; SUPERabilities, AWESOMEabilities, DIVERSEabilities.


xoxo, Leah

I Can Tell That We Are Gonna Be Friends I Can Tell That We Are Gonna Be Friends Reviewed by Unknown on 6:00:00 PM Rating: 5

1 comment:

Sora Templates

Image Link [https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiG5K4wyIr0osF-6qy0uUiZVuSksSBcDcilUfbp27n78j9fVSGxcrBKLx5CJI40wbwNup5mLxGNvbZgGHQg7PJn_mhmvqrfmKpZq4D4cAUsuy5Q90-NS_cgpJjP3pnCQcnTRce9SdEetBsE/s1600/Mets.JPG] Author Name [Leah Stoffel] Author Description [Leah is a native Floridian, New Yorker at heart, and adopted Jamaican serving in the Peace Corps. She is a proud puppy mother to a princess named Khloe, a big and little sister, a daughter, a friend, and a huge sports lover. When she's not working or volunteering, you can find her pretending to know how to code, singing in the shower, or tripping over her own two feet.] Twitter Username [@leah_stoffel] Facebook Username [leah.stoffel] GPlus Username [none] Pinterest Username [none] Instagram Username [leah_stoffel]