BREAKING NEWS

[5]

One Day We’ll All Be Free and Proud to Be Under the Same Sun - #OrlandoStrong

*The views reflected on this blog are mine alone and do not necessarily represent the views of the Peace Corps, the US Government, or the Jamaican Government.


Every emotion that you could imagine is running through my head right now. I’m angry that something like this has happened again. I’m sad for all of the families and friends that have lost loved ones. I’m relieved that, so far, everyone I know is safe. I’m helpless because I am so far away. I’m heartbroken that so many innocent people have been killed. I’m proud that my city has come together in such a beautiful way to support the victims and their families. But mostly, I’m confused. I am so confused.

“50 dead and more than 50 others injured in Orlando terror attack” was the headline that greeted me when I logged onto social media this morning. As I scrolled through my newsfeed, I realized that it was completely flooded with posts from friends expressing their shock and horror about what had unfolded earlier that morning. A gunman had opened fired inside of Pulse, a bar that I have been to and that many of my friends still frequent. Were any of my friends there? Are they okay? As reality began to sink in, I had a million questions and horrible thoughts running through my mind but, above all else, I was just so confused.

Why did this happen?

There is no good answer to that question.

I’m not here to talk about my personal views on anything; religion, politics, gun control, or homosexuality. I’m just here to remind everyone, including myself, that we are all one people. No matter what God you believe or don’t believe in, no matter how you were raised, no matter where you are from – we all have one thing in common and that is that none of us deserve to lose our lives this way.

And I’ve seen proof today that most of us truly do believe that. My Peace Corps family reaching out to me all day to make sure that all of my loved ones are safe. My sister waiting for over two hours today to donate blood for the victims. My little brother trying to donate but being turned away because so many people are already there to help. At some blood banks the lines are a mile long. I’ve seen nearby businesses open up to offer AC, food, and water to those that are trying to help. Churches open up their doors to do the same as well as offer grief counselling. People raising over US$500,000 in a few short hours to support the victims and their families. First responders who were on the scene and risking their lives to save the lives of others. Who knows how many more would be dead if it were not for them. We’ve also seen police stations from all over the country, celebrities, politicians, and people just like you and me standing in solidarity as we try to make sense of it all. There is still good in the world, and most of us have proven that today.

We must stand together in times like this. The world has lost 49 beautiful souls today. 

There will always be some people that will choose hate over love. Now we all have a choice of our own to make. Which will you choose? I choose love.

One love. Orlando Strong.




xoxo, Leah

One Day We’ll All Be Free and Proud to Be Under the Same Sun - #OrlandoStrong One Day We’ll All Be Free and Proud to Be Under the Same Sun - #OrlandoStrong Reviewed by Unknown on 6:00:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Sora Templates

Image Link [https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiG5K4wyIr0osF-6qy0uUiZVuSksSBcDcilUfbp27n78j9fVSGxcrBKLx5CJI40wbwNup5mLxGNvbZgGHQg7PJn_mhmvqrfmKpZq4D4cAUsuy5Q90-NS_cgpJjP3pnCQcnTRce9SdEetBsE/s1600/Mets.JPG] Author Name [Leah Stoffel] Author Description [Leah is a native Floridian, New Yorker at heart, and adopted Jamaican serving in the Peace Corps. She is a proud puppy mother to a princess named Khloe, a big and little sister, a daughter, a friend, and a huge sports lover. When she's not working or volunteering, you can find her pretending to know how to code, singing in the shower, or tripping over her own two feet.] Twitter Username [@leah_stoffel] Facebook Username [leah.stoffel] GPlus Username [none] Pinterest Username [none] Instagram Username [leah_stoffel]